Re: Debian amd64 not detecting my network card (32 bit Debian does!)

On 10-07-13 02:15 PM, H.S. wrote:
On 10-07-13 12:43 PM, H.S. wrote:

I decided to install amd64 on my computer which has Asus M3 socket
motherboard, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, chipset AMD 880G/SB850, and onboard
gigabit lan controller, Realtek® 8111E.

I installed 32 bit Debian using netinstall some days ago without too
many problems (see my post with subject Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (was:Re:
AM3 socket Asus M4A87TD EVO ...).

But today when I booted my USB stick to install amd64 Debian, the
installer failed to detect my network card. Boot disk was created using
the two step procedure listed here (Squeeze section):
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/InstallUsingStandardInstaller

I also tried different boot.img.gz and net installer from the following
sites:

for boot image:
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/

(file date is 17:58 26-06-10)
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/

(file date is 22:43 10-07-10)

for net installer iso:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/squeeze_di_alpha1/amd64/iso-cd/ (file
date is 17-Feb-2010 23:05)
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/

(file date is 13-Jul-2010 17:11)

So, the 32 bit installer worked on my motherboard but amd64 bit
installer fails to see the network card. Is there something I am missing
here?

Thanks.

Just a little update.

Getting the net install iso and the boot.img.gz from Lenny's download
page (stable release) works. The link is:
http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/debian-installer/

Both the firewire and gigabit controller are detected. Also, there are
no warning for mismatch between the modules in the version being
installed and the kernel.

The problem, however, is that Lenny's installer does not give me an
option to format in ext4 filesystem, which I want. So I am still looking
for a solution to make testing or daily builds of installer to detect
the network card on my board.

Replying to myself again :)

Got it working by using the boot.img.gz from here:
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/hd-media/

and net install iso from here:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/

In fact, I booted after install an older LAN NIC hoping that it would surely work. But this time the installer detected both the lan cards, the onboard and the PCI one. Installation is continuing now.

  • Re: Installation - More user friendly
    ... Give then option to cancel sysinstall ... > the Lan must have the NFS client running to access and share the NFS ... > question installer is asked to respond to, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • VSTO and its role in creating Access Runtimes
    ... I am looking at deploying an Access 2k3 application on a LAN to around 30 ... runtime installer. ... to use anything from the CD or do I solely need it for the license? ... I just want to copy an mde from the LAN ...
    (microsoft.public.access.developers.toolkitode)
  • Re: Intel MB SE7501CW2
    ... > whether the will work with the default installer. ... > Intel Raid Controler. ... Good to know that it will work over LAN. ... "One disk to rule them all, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Empfehlung Installer
    ... Ich suche einen Installer, was könnte Ihr empfehlen? ... Anforderung ist nur verteilung im LAN, ... Windows 2008 Server: Ich nutze schon sehr lange das Wise ...
    (microsoft.public.de.fox)
  • Re: A question about default routes.
    ... >Because the Debian installer assumes that it you have a LAN it must be how ... Moe Trin writes: ... My guess is that it's because the people who write the installer all work ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)