setting XKBLAYOUT to gb in squeeze ?

Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone has been able to setup XKBLAYOUT properly
on debian/squeeze. I am reading

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide

It says:

$ grep -C 3 -i xkb /etc/default/console-setup
-> return nothing on my computer.

Reading the file it seems I actually need to change
/etc/default/keyboard instead, so I did:

$ grep -C 3 -i xkb /etc/default/keyboard
# /etc/init.d/hal restart

# The following variables describe your keyboard and can have the same
# values as the XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbVariant and XkbOptions options
# in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

# If you don't want to use the XKB layout on the console, you can
# specify an alternative keymap. Make sure it will be accessible
# before /usr is mounted.
# KMAP=/etc/console-setup/defkeymap.kmap.gz

As specified, I did rerun the hal deamon:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/hal restart
Restarting Hardware abstraction layer: hald.

$ lshal | grep xkb
-> return nothing

If I look at the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I can see something weird:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Dell Dell USB Keyboard"
(type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "pc104"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

I also tried :

dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

and I explicitely specify dell USB keyboard, it then picks up that my
keyboard is 'gb' style and not 'us', but the change has no effect even
after a gdm restart.

Any advice ?

Thanks,
--
Mathieu

$ cat /etc/debian_version
squeeze/sid
$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg console-setup hal
xserver-xorg:
Installed: 1:7.5+6
Candidate: 1:7.5+6
Version table:
*** 1:7.5+6 0
500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org squeeze/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
console-setup:
Installed: 1.51
Candidate: 1.51
Version table:
*** 1.51 0
500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org squeeze/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
hal:
Installed: 0.5.14-2
Candidate: 0.5.14-2
Version table:
*** 0.5.14-2 0
500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org squeeze/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

  • Random Screen Blank on startup all the Time.
    ... Otherwise Ctrl-Alt-F1 doesnt even bring up the shell, ... Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesnt restart X, and the keyboard seems to not ... function [i know this because no keyboard lights go on for Num/Caps ... It occurs after my installation of FC2 x86_64 today and I ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FreeBSD kernel doesnt boot on FUJITSU PRIMERGY RX200 S5 server
    ... Do you know if the keyboard ... atkbdc_configuregives value other than 0xff, although reading is ... Even though reading status port works, ... This what causes that 6-10 minutes delay in boot process. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: Mouse freezes
    ... The PC still responds to the keyboard, ... Use the keyboard to save my work and restart the PC. ... I swap the mouse with a spare. ... The first PC has a Samsung 22UW monitor with built-in USB hub. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises
    ... A password gotten by reading each character as it is typed on the keyboard ... In this case by exploiting a bug in sbrk. ...
    (Debian-User)