Re: Checking burned image is ok

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:50:09 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

I am looking for a way to check I did burn my debian installer iso
properly.

IIRC, Debian installer provides a "check media CD" option, so you can use
that.

I am trying:

$ cmp /dev/cdrom debian-505-powerpc-netinst.iso

This works on CD-RW, but it fails on CD-R with the following:

cmp: /dev/cdrom: Input/output error

Has anyone seen this before ? How else could I check the CD-R is
actually properly burned ?

I think you could just:

cd /media/cdrom
md5sum -c md5sum.txt

Also, it seems to be a "checkiso" script that can be useful for this task.

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/index.en.html#verify

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Checking burned image is ok
    ... This works on CD-RW, but it fails on CD-R with the following: ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Files written CD-RW disc cannot be deleted
    ... totally erase the disk. ... I also use Windows Media Player to burn Music ... that the Windows software is write only like a CD-R. ... > I tried writing a sample notepad file to a different CD-RW disc. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Documents on CR-RW are Read Only
    ... A CD-R uses a laser-sensitive dye which is actually ... A CD-RW uses a thin layer of alloy. ... CD-RW, otoh, file space can be reclaimed. ... CD-RWs since the media isn't as stable as a CD-R and files can become ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Burn, baby, burn
    ... > The difference between CD-R and CD-RW burner is mainly just a firmware ... Since CD-RW includes ... I would always prefer a CD-RW capable burner over one that does only ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)
  • Re: Renaming File..
    ... Once your burn a CD-R or a CD-RW, ... I go to the photo...Click rename, ... Files on this disc is read only. ...