Re: Linux filesystems was [Re: Debian cd supporting ext4.]

I have done some testing with Debian stable in Virtualbox and I have
to say XFS works as advertised. I did power off the virtual machine
several times when working in Gnome / copying files. And I did power
off the virtual 5 times in a row when booting. Nothing happened. Each
time the virtual machine booted without problems.

I have to say, file system creating and file system checking is
lightning fast. I am very impressed. Next I'll test XFS on my laptop.

dmesg
[ 5.182230] sda: sda1 sda2
[ 5.183801] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
[ 5.324028] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
[ 5.333377] SGI XFS with ACLs, security attributes, realtime, large
block numbers, no debug enabled
[ 5.334413] SGI XFS Quota Management subsystem
[ 5.335916] XFS mounting filesystem sda2
[ 5.420162] Starting XFS recovery on filesystem: sda2 (logdev: internal)
[ 5.439531] Ending XFS recovery on filesystem: sda2 (logdev: internal)
[ 6.796197] udevd version 125 started

  • Re: Linux filesystems was [Re: Debian cd supporting ext4.]
    ... to say XFS works as advertised. ... I did power off the virtual machine ... Each time the virtual machine booted without problems. ... file system creating and file system checking is ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux filesystems was [Re: Debian cd supporting ext4.]
    ... I'm guessing most of them didn't look before taking the XFS leap. ... What were your results when you did this same power yank test with ext2/3, ... I've been using btrfs for my "/" file system for a few months now on my ... Toward the beginning I did suffer some dpkg database corruption due ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Open source storage
    ... you lose power while XFS is building its extant, ... power loss: the defined semantics of any normal Unix-style file system ... flushed to disk may or may not be on the disk, in whole or in part, ...
    (comp.arch.storage)
  • Re: Open source storage
    ... you lose power while XFS is building its extant, ... power loss: the defined semantics of any normal Unix-style file system ... flushed to disk may or may not be on the disk, in whole or in part, ... I see your point, but it strikes me as one of the 'a little bit pregnant' variety: absent explicit write-through or cache-flush control, *any* Unix file system will tend to produce data inconsistencies after interruption, the only question being just how many. ...
    (comp.arch.storage)
  • Re: Open source storage
    ... you lose power while XFS is building its extant, ... There's nothing there that even remotely hints at data corruption on ... power loss: the defined semantics of any normal Unix-style file system ...
    (comp.arch.storage)