Re: pl2303 Serial/USB problem - /dev/ttyUSB0 not created

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:02:11 +0100
Barry Samuels <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Desktop and Laptop both have Debian Testing installed and up to date; both
with self-compiled kernel 2.6.32.

I have a CurrentCost electricity usage monitor which is normally connected
to my desktop via USB and is working properly. When the unit is plugged in
I get a number of lines in syslog like so:

kernel: usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12
kernel: pl2303 4-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
kernel: usb 4-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I am trying to get this same device working on my laptop but this time I
see the following in syslog:

kernel: pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver

but nothing else i.e no 'attached to ttyUSB0'. Looking in /dev there is no
ttyUSBn

Whereas the desktop also loads the pl2303 and usbserial kernel modules
automatically when the device is connected the laptop does not and when I
load them manually I get only the above mentioned line in syslog.

When the USB device is plugged in there is apparently no reaction from the
operating system on the laptop when watching /var/syslog using 'tail'.
That, I think, is the main problem. Other USB devices on the laptop do
work.

Needless to say the software which monitors the device won't connect.

Any suggestions please?

Are you using the *exact* same kernel on both systems? Do you have the
same problem with a Debian stock kernel? [The first step when
debugging problems with self-compiled kernels is always to check if the
problem exists with stock kernels, or only with one's own.[

Celejar

  • Several OOPSes in net/sched/sch_generic.c, kernel/softirq.c (and other places)
    ... I have witnessed several kernel oopses in a vanilla 2.6.32 kernel of different patch levels. ... As I have no idea how I can trigger this oops -- it just happens after a few hours of running -- I'll list what I'm using the machine for: it's running Debian squeeze with a custom built kernel, vanilla 2.6.32.7 (.config attached). ... A WLAN AP is running over the USB wireless stick, which is bridged with the LAN side of the one NIC. ... # Device Drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • PROBLEM: Oops when using emi62 with 2.6.28
    ... With kernel 2.6.28 (and I don't really know which version of the kernel ... emi62 soundcard usb firmware oops ... 2000-2fff: PCI Bus 0000:02 ... # Infrared-port device drivers ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • problem with linux-2.6.28
    ... ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000 ... Allocating PCI resources starting at cc000000 ... 3243604k/3276480k available (3222k kernel code, 31608k reserved, 1142k data, 312k init, 23 ... USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller Driver ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Ive just installed SuSE 8.2 and its not recognising my Alcatel
    ... SpeedTouch USB Modem. ... Do I need to patch the kernel or pppd? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: my kernel sometimes did a crash, but no panic
    ... 00:09.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, ... Aug 8 23:56:56 o kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.6.11. ... Aug 8 23:57:00 o kernel: Using ACPI for SMP configuration ...
    (Linux-Kernel)