Re: building 2.6.35

On 2010-08-12 19:25 +0200, Bob Proulx wrote:

Stephen Powell wrote:
I do know about groups, but I don't necessarily know the intended
purpose of all of the pre-defined groups in a Linux system. Where
can I find documentation for that?

Unfortunately I have no idea. I don't even know if they are all
documented someplace. And distro to distro those will vary since they
tend to be local administration conventions.

For Debian, there is some information in the /usr/share/doc/base-passwd/
directory.

Still, I should have noticed that the /usr/src directory was owned
by user root and by group src. For some reason, I never made that
connection. That's a great tip, thanks. I will have to play around
with this. If I can get everything to work, then the next revision
of my kernel building web page will be revised accordingly.

Don't berate yourself. There is too much information in the universe
to know all of it! Only by working together can we manage to get a
handle on even a small fraction of it.

Yes, even the base-passwd maintainers who keep the users and groups with
ID < 100 in sync across Debian installations have sometimes no clue what
a specific group is or was good for. Here is what they say about the
'bin' and 'sys' groups:

,----
| bin
|
| HELP: No files on my system are owned by user or group bin. What good are
| they? Historically they were probably the owners of binaries in /bin? It is
| not mentioned in the FHS, Debian Policy, or the changelogs of base-passwd
| or base-files.
| [...]
|
| sys
|
| HELP: As with bin, except I don't even know what it was good for
| historically.
`----

Sven

  • Re: building 2.6.35
    ... purpose of all of the pre-defined groups in a Linux system. ... can I find documentation for that? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: how to get the thighest bit position in big integers?
    ... for bin found lots of things that start with bin, ... in the documentation? ... Well,it's mentioned in "What's new in Python 2.6": ... and change the semantics of some existing built-ins. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Why complicated directory structure in Linux
    ... Since the documentation and answer to your question exist on both your own ... Linux system and on the WWW, Usenet is an inappropriate place to display ... continue to use that Microsfot shitware you used to post your question. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Why complicated directory structure in Linux
    ... Since the documentation and answer to your question exist on both your own ... Linux system and on the WWW, Usenet is an inappropriate place to display ... continue to use that Microsfot shitware you used to post your question. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Storable - Win32 to Linux
    ... >> If I save a hash to disc on Win32 using Storable, ... >> resulting file to a Linux system - will the file be readable using the ... find a section in the documentation which discusses this - I would be more ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)