grub2: VFS: Unable to mount root fs

Hi everyone,

I upgraded grub to grub2 (squeeze) and at first I couldn't boot my linux
kernel (2.6.32), which work fine with the old grub. The boot process
stopped with the following messages: "VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)".

After some research, I figured that the root fs is not set correctly in /
boot/grub/grub.cfg. The root fs was defined with a uuid string, which I
confirmed as correct. After altering the uuid string to /dev/sda2, linux
would boot normally.

Since grub.cfg is not supposed to be edited, I added to /etc/default/grub
(thanks to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2):
# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to
# Linux
GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID="true"

and then ran `update-grub`.

I thought this might be helpful for others running into the same problem.
Also, any idea why the (again: correct) uuid string didn't work? I have
two other systems with a similar set-up and defining the root fs with uuid
works just fine.

Cheers,
Simon

  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Password
    ... I ran a quick search on Ask with the phrase "linux lost ... Have you ever forgotten your root password? ... Fortunately, it wasn't a boot password, so I did have ... (although "mount" may say it is). ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: grub2: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
    ... I upgraded grub to grub2 and at first I couldn't boot my linux ... I figured that the root fs is not set correctly in / ... The root fs was defined with a uuid string, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What the Hell has happened to this group???
    ... then hire a Linux geek to put a proper firewall in your gateway box. ... as Root whilst connected to the internet. ... be changed locally, so they boot as root as a rule, as it were. ... happen to be on the system, though not written to by the distro as a rule ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • lost password Please HELP
    ... enter the "single" user input at the LiLo prompt. ... Have no Linux boot disc. ... recover from a lost root password. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)