Re: Why is /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/sun-java6-6-12/jdk1.6.0_12 not recognized in update-alternatives?

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:45:54 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

Some months ago, I installed a Sun VM and SDK (I think this is so): jdk
1.6.0-12. I think that it was a .bin, and it resulted in the whole being
installed at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/sun-java6-6-12/jdk1.6.0_12. The
problem is that it looks like unrecognized by update-alternatives:

# update-alternatives --config java
There are 2 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection Alternative
1 /usr/bin/gij-4.3
*+ 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java

Why?

I think because you installed the package from outside Debian repos and
so it got not recognized inside the whole package database.

***
ls -l /etc/alternatives | grep "java-6-sun"
***

If it's not there, I guess it won't be detected/managed by "update-
alternatives" :-?

What can I do to make it recognized?

Hmmm, by creating a symbolic link in the above dir? But maybe not the
better way, though. I would read "man update-alternatives" to find out.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: [opensuse] Using duinsoft.nl script to update Java Sun
    ... I would like to know if in OpenSuSe are there any chances to install the ... To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx ... To contact the owner, e-mail: ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: alternatives for gcc
    ... for gcc? ... Can't you set up new alterantives within the update-alternatives ... app, so I only got as far as reading the update-alterantives ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: getting xorg working on an old box .....