Re: How to Retain an Existing Ext4 Partition with a Debian 5.0.5 DVD Installation?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:22, Jochen Schulz <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tom Browder:
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:44, Alain Baeckeroot

Lenny does not support ext4 for /boot (maybe / too), but
it can manage ext4 for other partitions.
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#For_people_who_are_running_Debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Ext4

For sure there is a backported kernel with ext4 support, it works flawlessly for me.
http://backports.org/
http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/kernel/linux-image-2.6-686

Good info, Alain, thanks!

In order to be able to at least mount existing ext4 filesystems during
installation, you canalso try Kenshi Muto's d-i:
http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

These are regular images, just with a more recent kernel. And Kenshi is
a DD, in case you care.

Hm, thanks, but using those sounds like an installation using advanced
procedures I'm not experienced with.

Are we talking about a place in the installation where it might ask if
you have other images or such on another medium (such as another CD or
DVD)?

I assume that is detailed in the inst docs, but I've never done it before.

Thanks, Jochen.

-Tom