Re: How to Retain an Existing Ext4 Partition with a Debian 5.0.5 DVD Installation?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 08:22, Jochen Schulz <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tom Browder:
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:44, Alain Baeckeroot

Lenny does not support ext4 for /boot (maybe / too), but
it can manage ext4 for other partitions.
https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#For_people_who_are_running_Debian
http://wiki.debian.org/Ext4

For sure there is a backported kernel with ext4 support, it works flawlessly for me.
http://backports.org/
http://packages.debian.org/lenny-backports/kernel/linux-image-2.6-686

Good info, Alain, thanks!

In order to be able to at least mount existing ext4 filesystems during
installation, you canalso try Kenshi Muto's d-i:
http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

These are regular images, just with a more recent kernel. And Kenshi is
a DD, in case you care.

Hm, thanks, but using those sounds like an installation using advanced
procedures I'm not experienced with.

Are we talking about a place in the installation where it might ask if
you have other images or such on another medium (such as another CD or
DVD)?

I assume that is detailed in the inst docs, but I've never done it before.

Thanks, Jochen.

-Tom

  • Re: How to Retain an Existing Ext4 Partition with a Debian 5.0.5 DVD Installation?
    ... For sure there is a backported kernel with ext4 support, ... you canalso try Kenshi Muto's d-i: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Full SSD support?
    ... it restricts your choice of filesystems... ... to I had to do a Debian installation was back in 2005. ... It's also possible to convert an existing ext3 filesystem to ext4. ... Just make the swap like normal, ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: New dirty tricks in Red Hat 5.x
    ... How's Ext4 coming along? ... They fixed the corruption stuff yet? ... laptop for his new place of work. ... entire installation from scratch. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: Next openSUSE
    ... configuration but it defaults to the ext4 file system so I can't even use ... there is an ext4 module I can load into the 11.1 installation so I can see ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Single root filesystem evilness decreasing in 2010? (on workstations)