Re: Mixing apt-get and aptitude

T o n g <mlist4suntong@xxxxxxxxx>:

I used to use either apt-get or aptitude to install packages. Is it
OK to do so?

I've not read your link.

Joey Hess wrote a long critique in here a couple of years ago, saying
essentially yes. aptitude (I thimk) logs more of its actions than
does apt-get, but other than that, they're just wrappers that call
dpkg. I think. Read Joey's post, it's definitive.

I read [1] that it is not a good idea.

[1] http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/mixing-apt-*-and-aptitude-nok-828408/

  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: package management begins to annoy me
    ... Yes, you're using aptitude. ... It gives more information than apt-get and, as this poster ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Packages temporarily disappearing from Testing/Lenny
    ... I use aptitude exclusively, and I've never managed to get it to pull ... in recommended packages. ... aptitude is not 'apt-get' but I'd hope much of the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: package management begins to annoy me
    ... have a point about apparent simplicity regarding apt-get, ... In this situation I am really happy that aptitude is ... In the same situation apt-get often just can't get through, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)