Re: Mixing apt-get and aptitude

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 08:51:29AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
Aside, can you post another blog (or another thread here) about why
you use both Ubuntu and Debian?

http://pthree.org/2009/02/19/server-migration-from-ubuntu-804-to-debian-50/

Long story short- Debian does a better job at package quality assurance
and bug fixing BEFORE release than Ubuntu, which does a great deal of it
afterwards. If you want a server, I would only trust Debian stable and
CentOS to power my data.

For the desktop, I see no reason why Debian GNU/Linux doesn't fit the
bill either. I have it installed on a workstation, two laptops, a
netbook and a virtual machine, all without any headache (there is an
annoyance with the netbook, actually, but minor).

The only reason I can see usuing Ubuntu is if you like the direction
they are taking with their operating system (UbuntuOne, MeMenu,
notifications, etc). In terms of hardware, I don't have any additional
problems getting Debian installed, with everything working out of the
box, than Ubuntu.

--
. O . O . O . . O O . . . O .
. . O . O O O . O . O O . . O

  • Re: debian and ubuntu - answer from user not pretending to be guru
    ... are there situations where debian is preferable? ... are there situations where ubuntu is preferable (eg picking up newer ... Before people start criticising that preference, it it my preference, and, it is up to each individual, to choose the person's preference, for whatever reasons that person makes the choice. ... When we initially installed Debian 3.1 on that laptop, which was purchased with Windows XP installed, we had to use Mandriva to repartion it partitioning utility), then install Ubuntu on it, then unistall Ubuntu and install Debian, as the wireless network card had an interrupt conflict with the wired network card, and it was a problem that was automatically resolved with Ubuntu, whereas Debian simply would not work with it. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Sugestions for New Releases of Debian
    ... I have slowly got used to Ubuntu, being a Linuxer for the last two ... Ubuntu is a specific instance of the much more general Debian system, ... That software be developed to make a "Remaster" type backup on ... worth going to a virtual installation. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux & MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (nForce3 Ultra) questions...
    ... I will try Ubuntu, ... So be prepared to use Mandrake x86_64 ... go with MEPIS instead of Ubuntu, or maybe even just use Debian ... I should have asked Deb vs Rpm I guess? ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: how many users is enough?
    ... Without Debian there would be no successful Ubuntu, ... to install distro, and at that time I thought I was good with computers. ... dependencies on all major XFCE4 components. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: sudo
    ... are there situations where debian is preferable? ... are there situations where ubuntu is preferable (eg picking up newer ... what's better for use on a server? ... With installing Ubuntu on that laptop, having a 10GB partition free, I finally decided to install Ubuntu into that partition, and, installed 8.10, as the latest Ubuntu version. ...
    (Debian-User)