Re: Get a list of obsoleted packages

On 8/27/10, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In <201008271648.59327.alain.baeckeroot@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Alain Baeckeroot
wrote:
Le 27/08/2010 à 16:35, T o n g a écrit :
I use to get the list of obsoleted packages using aptitude. Now that I'm
planning to remove aptitude, what are the alternatives?

obsolete = not up to date = need to be upgraded

That's not what aptitude calls an "Obsolete" package. Aptitude call a
package
"obsolete" when it is installed/configured but it is no (longer) available
from any of your configured sources.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.

Well, similar to the last definition is "orphan". I'm not sure if
that is what's been looked for... In that case, I suggest
"deborphan".

--
Javier.

  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: the new apt-get recommendation
    ... of my package installations history. ... In preparing to install a given package, what would alert me that my ... I read some other official documentation recommend aptitude. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • keeping an obsolete package (libx264-78) removes its automatically installed status
    ... The package 'libx264-78' is installed on my system: ... Aptitude shows it in the 'Obsolete and Locally Created Packages' ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to trick my Debian in thinking that a package is not installed
    ... dpkg and aptitude, but somehow it still get upgraded from time to time. ... if a package is installed or not? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: difficulties updating Etch
    ... just "some files failed to download"; I guess it timed out or something. ... IMHO, if you have been using aptitude religiously, don't do anything outside ... flashy red errors about the package cache. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)