Re: Upgrade to latest Inkscape

John Culleton wrote:
I want to upgrade to latest Inkscape 0.48.0 To that end I did a net
install of Debian and ended up with Lenny and Inkscape 0.46. Two
questions:
1. What release of Debian is likely to get Inkscape 0.48 first?

Inkscape 0.48 was just released a few days ago on August 23rd. That
is very new!

2. How do I upgrade to that release?

Normally new packages would first enter Unstable, then after ten days
with no release critical bugs would transition to Testing. When
Testing is in a good release state as a whole it is released as the
newest Stable (about every two years). During the release lifetime
Stable will be held stable and won't change.

http://www.debian.org/releases/

Since you are wishing something released upstream just a few days ago
then the normal thing would be to compile it yourself. Start by
installing all of the build dependencies of the current inkscape.
Then during the build install any additional dependencies that you
don't already have.

$ sudo apt-get install build-dep inkscape
$ sudo apt-get install libgsl0-dev
... get latest from http://inkscape.org/download/?lang=en ...
$ cd inkscape-0.48.0
$ ./configure --with-gnome-vfs --enable-lcms
$ make
$ ./src/inkscape

If you are in the 'staff' group you can 'make install' to install the
bits into your /usr/local/ directory without needing to be root.

Bob

  • Re: Cant get libpng, essential to Inkscape compile.
    ... to get the latest development version of Inkscape. ... the source tarball, unpacked it and then went through the usual ... apt-get this apt-get that to get the package to configure. ... which should install all the dependencies that inkscape ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Illustrator or Postscript files in GIMP?
    ... I'm asking because I'm unable to install Illustrator on my 'new' system, but have GIMP available. ... Because I have a bunch of Illustrator files I created before I did an upgrade. ... Also make a copy of AI files before opening them in Inkscape. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.gimp)
  • Re: Cant get libpng, essential to Inkscape compile.
    ... to get the latest development version of Inkscape. ... apt-get this apt-get that to get the package to configure. ... apt-get install libpng ... 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Removing rpm from database
    ... Inkscape requires and old version of libsigc++, and I have the new version ... Is it possible to install inkscape and remove the package from the rpm database ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: HELP !!! confused trying to install tshark on wheezy
    ... somehow get Wheezy to automatically determine, download and install ... sudo apt-get install tshark ... because Debian configures sudo by default... ...
    (Debian-User)