[debian-user] Any one getting aptitude frozen on "update" with Translation-en bzip2 ?

Hi,

I use debian unstable, and when trying to do "aptitude update" Today I
face at the very end:

99% [1 Translation-en bzip2 0]

And then aptitude just freezes forever...

I searched through google for this, and I found old bug reports about
that but for apt-get:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=535182 (june 2009)
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=505092 (november 2008)

The second one suggests it's a problem in the repos, that eventually
went away. The 1st one though, which wasn't ever answered, suggests
perhaps a problem with apt-get not handling correctly the compression
used for a package (update uses bzip on Packages.gz when no .bz2 is
available). I'm getting this on aptitude (it's been a while since I
don't use apt-get, since the initial days of aptitude, when it was
said it was a bad idea to mix the 2)...

This is the first time I see this on years, so perhaps someone else
has experienced this before? Any suggestions? Also, can anyone else
confirm they're hit by this? I'm using repos from:

debian.osuosl.org
debian-multimedia.org
unofficial.debian-maintainers.org

For unstable, and for both architectures (amd64 and i686), and all
machines are freezing on aptitude update as of now...

Thanks,

--
Javier.

  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: package management begins to annoy me
    ... Yes, you're using aptitude. ... It gives more information than apt-get and, as this poster ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Packages temporarily disappearing from Testing/Lenny
    ... I use aptitude exclusively, and I've never managed to get it to pull ... in recommended packages. ... aptitude is not 'apt-get' but I'd hope much of the ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: package management begins to annoy me
    ... have a point about apparent simplicity regarding apt-get, ... In this situation I am really happy that aptitude is ... In the same situation apt-get often just can't get through, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)