Re: rsync issue

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

In rsync manual I coudn't find a solution to what I want. I wish to copy all
my home directory into another machine with the --delete option, but:

1) I dont't want hidden files, i.e.: `.*' to be copied;

2) on the other hand, there are some symlinks, beginning with `.', that I
want to be copied.

The --exclude option won't help.

From my home directory, if I do:

$ rsync -vrtul --delete * 192.168.0.2:/home/rodolfo

, hidden files that are in `~/' are not copied at all nor the --delete option
applies to files that are in `~/', so it's not good; from /home, if I do:

$ rsync -vrtul --delete rodolfo 192.168.0.2:/home

, everything is copied, also system hidden directories and files, which I
don't want.

Please help with this issue.
Thanks for any help

Sorry, I made a mistake: I mean, I want hidden files to be copied, except than
those in `~/': of those, i.e. of the hidden files in `~/', I just want the
symlinks to be copied.

Rodolfo

  • [solved] Backup home directory with rsync (was: rsync issue)
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: hidden files
    ... are usually seen in the home directory? ... They are hidden files because the leading period tells software to not ... The reasoning is that you can end up with quite a few configuration files ... did you mean you wanted the purpose of those configuration files? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [solved] Re: rsync issue
    ... copy all my home directory into another machine with the --delete ... and I'll create the symlinks by hand. ... of both the hidden files and the symlinks check against the same pattern. ... like this two-step procedure (next command is a single line): ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: deleted /tmp now kde/gnome wont work
    ... These are usually kept in hidden files ... and directories in your home directory. ... Can you try adding a new, test user, and see if that works properly? ... strongly suspect that it will. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: rsync issue
    ... my home directory into another machine with the --delete option, ... I dont't want hidden files, ... I know you can tell the 'find' command to ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)