Re: Can I have a working VLC in Lenny, and transcode, and ffmpeg?

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:58:33 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,
on lenny i386 I use VLC for viewing and ripping ffflash - which
works fine.
I'd like to install transcode and ffmpeg without pulling in libavutil*
from debian-multimedia.org (which previously has broken VLC).
For reasons too lengthy to list here - I do not want to use something
as a replacement for VLC.
Thanks in advance for constructive advice.

Cheers

VLC with libavutil* from d-m works at the moment, it has not broken
again since that one time!

You could try pulling in libavutil from main, eg
sudo aptitude -t lenny libavutil49

Then pull in transcode from d-m and it might not pull in the newer
version, unless it depends on it.

Otherwise, you can compile transcode against the lenny libacutil see
here [1]

But, to be honist, just try the d-m VLC/Transcode, its working
perfectly for me here (I am using AMD64 rather than i386, so ymmv, but
it should be fine!)

Good luck

[1]http://www.transcoding.org/transcode?Building_Transcode

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

  • Re: Can I have a working VLC in Lenny, and transcode, and ffmpeg?
    ... I'd like to install transcode and ffmpeg without pulling in libavutil* ... from debian-multimedia.org (which previously has broken VLC). ... sudo aptitude -t lenny libavutil49 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian Lenny VLC from where?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: MPEG4 support
    ... you'd have to transcode them to WMV or use another streaming ... is it possible to transcode them in real time and send them out so ... I've had some poor performance from VLC I don't think it's especially ... WMV, or hopefully ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.server)
  • Can I have a working VLC in Lenny, and transcode, and ffmpeg?