[solved] Backup home directory with rsync (was: rsync issue)

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I wish to copy all my home directory into another machine with the --delete
option, but:

1) I dont't want hidden files, i.e.: `.*' to be copied;

2) on the other hand, there are some symlinks, beginning with `.', that I
want to be copied.

The --exclude option won't help.

The following seems to be fine for me:

$ cd
$ rsync -vrtu --delete --exclude='/.*' . 192.168.0.2:/home/rodolfo

, where `192.168.0.2' is the address of the destination computer. Hidden files
from the top level directory are not tansferred, all the others are, which is
what I want. Symlinks are better created by hand. I *highly* recommend anyone
to first use the `--dry-run' option before actually run the command, as the
--delete option is very dangerous!

Bye
Rodolfo

  • Re: rsync issue
    ... Rodolfo Medina said: ... R> I wish to copy all my home directory into another machine with the ... R> 2) there are some symlinks, beginning with `.', that I want to be copied. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [solved] Re: rsync issue
    ... all my home directory into another machine with the --delete option, ... I dont't want hidden files, ... on the other hand, there are some symlinks, beginning with `.', that I ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: rsync issue
    ... my home directory into another machine with the --delete option, ... I dont't want hidden files, ... on the other hand, there are some symlinks, beginning with `.', that I ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [solved] Re: rsync issue