Re: how to tell what packages are unused on a debian server?

Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Okay, I tried the change and let it finish the report.

I found all "in use", except for php5, but there is a bunch of php5
stuff that is in use.

Arrgghh. You're now making me /think/ about the script, rather than it
being a throwaway suggestion(!) Upon further investigation, the atime
for a symbolic link is (inevitably) updated when it's deferenced, so
you need to skip those, too.

The find statement thus becomes
find $(readlink -f "$F") -atime -180

On my laptop it's tricky for me to test this as I mount everything
noatime. On a couple of servers I've got, though, the results feel
approximately correct.

If you're finding that everything is "in use" then at this stage it's
probable that you've made a filesystem backup with tar or cpio, which
obviously reads every single file, unfortunately making atime useless.

Good luck!
Chris

  • Fwd: AgentFeedback
    ... would and could address this suggestion; ... with my old ISP and their SMPT mail server. ... was seriously considering canceling your ISP service ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Are you also tired of the AOL guy?
    ... those 'problems' you claim to have with FreeBSD 5.3. ... my suggestion is that you team up with Dag-Erling Smorgrav. ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • my l2tp connection stopped
    ... ms-dns 8.8.8.8 ... Any suggestion will be appreciated. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Dictionary of National Biography online index
    ... If you're suggesting secondly that I should drive 200 miles to get a library card just so I can access the ODNB.... ... amazing suggestion, let's just say. ... that has ODNB access and does not require you to be a local resident - ... To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to GEN-MEDIEVAL-requ....@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (soc.genealogy.medieval)
  • Re: Re: AMD Turion ZM82: freeze with 2 cores, works with 1 core (maxcpus=1)