Re: Attaching vs. pastebin for big outputs [was: Re: Installation Size Different - bug ?]

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 13:40:06 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Lu, 01 nov 10, 11:26:40, Camaleón wrote:

It is specified in Debian mailing list "code of conduct":

***
Avoid sending large attachments.
***

Without any mention of what "large" means :(

More than ~25 KiB can be annoying for users with dial-up lines or GPRS.

I wonder, what do others think?

I personally prefer long logs and snapshot images are linked unless
otherwise specified (i.e., if the user does not have Internet access,
embedded those inside the e-mail is right).

I don't know why, but I also consider images inappropriate, but now I
see that a full screenshot of my desktop (1680x1050) is "only" about 3
times bigger than the *uncompressed* dmesg.

Is not only "size", but readability. An imagen of 1680x1050 it looks
cropped inside my Pan newsreader. I would have to scroll down
horizontally to get a full view.

External logs provide a better reading and understanding as MUA tends
to auto "wrap" lines and it becomes difficult to read them.

command > file.txt

and then attaching should not be a problem as word wrapping in viewers
can usually be toggled ;)

Yes, what I meant is that many e-mail clients do not allow forcing a non-
break line and they wrap the bunch of logs into several lines what is
hard to interpret.

Sample of non-break line:

***
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and...
***

Sample of wrapped lines:

***
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting
industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever
since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and...
***

I can choose when using one or other with Pan (and Mutt), but not all MUA
are capable of doing so.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: verb-like command without active chars
    ... Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's ... standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, ... type specimen book. ... Many commands are not allowed ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: Dave Goulders web site: what does this mean?
    ... Curabitur sed nulla a tortor dictum congue. ... Suspendisse potenti. ... "Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. ... Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, ...
    (uk.music.folk)
  • [Solved again] Program for quoting text like in email?
    ... Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the ... to make a>> type specimen book. ... but also the>> leap into electronic typesetting, ...
    (Debian-User)