Re: linux-image for i586
- From: Arnt Karlsen <arnt@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 22:21:15 +0100
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:41:26 -0500, Johan wrote in message
Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Just wanted to ask, Why there is no linux-image package for i586,
especially w/ MMX support - but only for i486, then for i686 and up?
I don't think all that many people have i586 boxen. They were current
in the timeframe 1995 through 1997. That's over a dozen years ago.
..and now they can be had for free, and made use of.
In other cases, access is expensive, so old junk is
left in service.
The i486 kernel will run on an i586 box. Even if you compile the
kernel for i586 how much speed are you really going to get? A few
percent? And how much time do you spend in kernel as opposed to
userland? Maybe 3-20 percent depending on what you are doing right?
So, in rough numbers, that's a 10% off on 10% of what you do for a
net of roughly 1%.
..se my response to Sthu Deus.
..med vennlig hilsen = with Kind Regards from Arnt... ;o)
...with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
Scenarios always come in sets of three:
best case, worst case, and just in case.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Prev by Date: Re: Re: All hung up over netatalk
- Next by Date: Re: new cpu amd 810 Quad core (with 900 pins) some pins are bent any idea how to fix?
- Previous by thread: Re: linux-image for i586
- Next by thread: Re: linux-image for i586