Re: Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:15:31 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
# dmesg|grep parport
[ 11.593036] parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
[ 71.028713] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

These are the defaults; so that's not proof that the options are being
processed. Those are the messages that my system issues too, and
I'm not using an options statement for parport_pc. You might try
changing the options to non-default values, just for grins,
and see what happens.

Then I edited the `install.sh' script as you suggested. I'm pretty sure to
have replaced all the possible occurrences of any expression resulting in
/etc/modprobe.conf with the corrispondent instance that gives
/etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf in a clever manner. Then I reinstalled and
rebooted, but the printer is dead. It lives up again if I restore things as
the manufacturer wants: /etc/modprobe.conf. Editing that script is just the
same as merely replacing by hand /etc/modprobe.conf with
/etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.

Not necessarily. There may be other scripts besides install.sh that
contain references to /etc/modprobe.conf. For example, there may be
a script in /etc/init.d. There may also be a reference to /etc/modprobe.conf
in compiled code than you cannot see.

Now I wish to uninstall all and use the debianized packages at:

http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/

Are they the same that you use? Can you check the toner level with them?
That's the only reason Samsung software is useful. If there's another way, I'm
going to uninstall it.

I don't have or use that model of printer; so I don't know. So far, all the
printers I have attempted to use with Debian are old enough that there are
Debianized drivers built into CUPS/foomatic that work just fine. As for checking
the toner level, most printers I have used have a "toner low" light on the
printer itself which warns me that the toner is about to run out, and that
has always been adequate enough for my purposes.

I can't speak for the drivers to which you are referring, but in general
I would recommend using a driver package that has been customized for
the Debian environment.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :