Re: Upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze

Which version of postgresql were you running prior to the upgrade?

I presume 8.4 failed to configure as in order to use data from previous versions you need to upgrade the data via a dump/ restore or pgmigrator etc. Not sure what debians packages for postgres do/ attempt to do but I'm pretty sure the issue would be something to do with this.

--- On Tue, 16/11/10, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze
To: "Debian user mail list" <debian-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, 16 November, 2010, 19:37
I have a dual boot Windows XP / Lenny
Toshiba Qosmio G25 laptop. I have it setup for dual boot
with XP on one hard drive and Linux on the other. I wanted
to upgrade to Squeeze. I ran an Aptitude upgrade by changing
Lenny to Squeeze in the /etc/apt/source.list file and then
running the usual update sequence. Everything worked except
Postgresql 8.4 refused to configure. After reading the bug
reports I concluded that this is a serious bug that isn't
going away soon. So I burned a Squeeze Network Installation
Disk (6.1 beta) and attempted to install the new system that
way. The Squeeze disk didn't recognize the windows system
and trashed my boot files. I finally did a fresh
installation using my old Lenny Network Installation Disk.
This corrected all of the problems but leaves me back where
I started.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this upgrade safely and
effectively.

Gary R.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CE2DD83.2040508@xxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Ugrade from Lenny to Squeeze on old PC Box
    ... I have an old PC Box on which I was run Debian Lenny with kernel ... Yesterday I decided to upgrade it to Squeeze. ... sudo aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: lenny auto upgrade
    ... of new packages and many things do not work afterwards. ... You are upgrading Lenny packages? ... up on the spot) 'apt-get upgrade' works for Debian Stable. ... My packages are now a mixture of lenny and squeeze. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: how to update Debian OS properly
    ... this will upgrade any "upgradeable" packages - be it a security ... lenny to new lenny ... Lenny to squeeze upgrade is somewhat different, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze
    ... I have it setup for dual boot with XP on one hard drive and Linux on the other. ... I ran an Aptitude upgrade by changing Lenny to Squeeze in the /etc/apt/source.list file and then running the usual update sequence. ... So I burned a Squeeze Network Installation Disk and attempted to install the new system that way. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: When is best time to upgrade lenny to squeeze
    ... After squeeze becomes the stable release and lenny becomes old stable. ... there will be squeeze release notes detailing the upgrade ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)