Re: upgrade to squeeze fails for NFS-rooted system

debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx put forth on 11/27/2010 11:50 PM:
Upgrading lenny to squeeze fails with the following message during
"apt-get upgrade":

Preparing to replace mount (using .../mount_2.17.2-3.3_amd64.deb) ...
You have NFS mount points currently mounted, and this version of mount
requires that nfs-common be upgraded before NFS mounts will work.

Aborting install.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mount_2.17.2-3.3_amd64.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Yes, I do have an NFS mount--my whole filesystem:

# mount
/dev/nfs on / type nfs (rw)

So how do I upgrade?

Did you upgrade apt-get, aptitude, and dpkg before attempting the full
upgrade? Did you try "aptitude safe-upgrade" as well as "apt-get upgrade"?

Did you try manually upgrading nfs-common, nfs-utils, and mount,
individually, before performing the rest of the upgrade.

Did you attempt any troubleshooting before firing off this email to

As noted in the bug report by one of the devs, they assume a sysadmin
capable of setting up diskless workstations is smart enough to figure
his way around this bug...