Smileys don't animate

I run my own (non-commercial) web site which includes a forum. There are
smileys which can be used in the posts which are supposed to animate
except that they don't animate on my desktop machine.

My desktop runs Debian Testing/Squeeze, up to date, and uses a 2.6.34
kernel plus the nouveau graphics driver. I used to use the nv graphics
driver which exhibited the same problem.

I understand that these animated smileys are multi-layered GIFs and it
seems that I only see one layer which in some cases is not enough to even
identify the smiley image.

If I boot the same machine from an oldish Knoppix DVD (kernel 2.6.19) the
smileys animate as expected. That DVD appears to use the nv driver.

I can view the same page on my Laptop and the smilies animate on that.

The really strange part is that I also have a local copy of the web site
running under Apache on my desktop and the smileys do animate on that.

Any ideas?

--
Barry Samuels
http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk

  • Re: Smileys dont animate [Partly solved]
    ... are smileys which can be used in the posts which are supposed to ... animate except that they don't animate on my desktop machine. ... As I said originally the same GIFs animate on the same machine if they ... with the same browser and with any other browsers that I've tried. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Smileys dont animate
    ... animate except that they don't animate on my desktop machine. ... As I said originally the same GIFs animate on the same machine if they are ... I understand that these animated smileys are multi-layered GIFs and it ... with the same browser and with any other browsers that I've tried. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Smileys dont animate
    ... except that they don't animate on my desktop machine. ... Do other GIFs animate there? ... I understand that these animated smileys are multi-layered GIFs and it ...
    (Debian-User)
  • yahoo messenger smileys not moving
    ... smileys on yahoo messenger are not moving any more.. ... how can i animate ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)