Re: Feedback needed: How to disable services at startup... and keep them so.

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2010-12-07 17:21 +0100, Camaleón wrote:

A month ago, I disabled Network Manager service in my Squeeze system so
it doesn't run on start up. I wanted to keep NM installed (just in case)
but preferred to use the old "ifup" network setup method.

So I issued "update-rc.d network-manager remove" and also disabled gnome
NM applet from being started.

You should use "update-rc.d network-manager disable" instead.  See
update-rc.d(8).
I think update-rc.d manpage should then change example which Camaleon
referenced in her solved post:

Example of disabling a service:
         update-rc.d -f foobar remove
         update-rc.d foobar stop 20 2 3 4 5 .
Should be
Example of disabling a service:
         update-rc.d foobar disable

Shouldn't be ? (Is it a bug in manpage?)

It depends on which man page you're reading.

The "disable" option doesn't exist in the (online, no Lenny box at
hand) Lenny man page.

From the Squeeze man page:

DISABLING INIT SCRIPT START LINKS
When run with the disable [ S|2|3|4|5 ] options, update-rc.d modifies
existing runlevel links for the script /etc/init.d/name by renaming
start links to stop links with a sequence number equal to the
difference of 100 minus the original sequence number.

When run with the enable [ S|2|3|4|5 ] options, update-rc.d modifies
existing runlevel links for the script /etc/init.d/name by renaming
stop links to start links with a sequence number equal to the positive
difference of current sequence number minus 100, thus returning to the
original sequence number that the script had been installed with before
disabling it.

Both of these options only operate on start runlevel links of S, 2, 3,
4 or 5. If no start runlevel is specified after the disable or enable
keywords, the script will attempt to modify links in all start run-
levels.

  • RE: Guided Helpl -pdm.dlError
    ... My computer has 2 pdm.dll files, one to Debug script in Office and the other ... There is no script debug for Internet ... GH window opens, Connects to ... After disabling Script debugging in the Internet options. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Images Acting Like Submit Button with Rollover Effect
    ... vbscript is everytime enabled whatever you do: ... Then MS created VBS ... JS are just types of script. ... And disabling script means disabling all of that. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Clarification-Win2k Netstat sockets interpretation
    ... Only the website linking the content of the script to the specific services ... disabling useful services] has occurred while temporarilly enabling Java /Java-Scripting or 'mobile code' to accomplish a download or a device configuration. ... I get security levels reset, ... module or process before it makes a registry change. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: FD access/check during Win launch sequence?
    ... Disabling is probably a good idea but it is not ... this is normal sequence. ... FD access/check once Windows launches. ... detection of installed hardware but it does not describe how "detection" ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: HOW TO SECURE INTERNET BROWSERS
    ... Disable: Download unsigned ActiveX controls ... Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting ... High safety: Java permissions ... > Disabling Java, and Java-Script, may cause some Web Sites to not load ...
    (alt.computer.security)