Re: usb drive nolonger registers on one pc, still registers on another

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 15:46:21 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:31:30PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

Just for testing purposes... what happens if you disconnect the USB
cable of the UPS unit from the computer and boot up the system
afterwards? Are you getting the same warnings when plugin the USB hard
disk and still fails to be detected with "fdisk -l"?

Yes. I can't keep the USB hard disk connected to the computer. As soon
as it is connected the attempts to "enumerate USB device on port 2" keep
scrolling by as sequential addresses are tried. When the highest
address (125?) fails it starts over at address 5 (there are four other
USB devices attached and working normally).

Remove all the USB devices that are attached to the computer and just
leave the USB hard disk. Are you still getting the warnings when only 1
USB device is connected?

I entered fdisk -l while the scrolling continued and the three sata hard
drives were detected (the response interleaved in the scrolling) but the
USB drive was not detected.

That's bad ;-(

Try to unload "ehci_hcd" kernel module, connect the hard disk and check
again.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives - help
    ... I pulled a IBM Travelstar disk from a T21 (I know it works fine, ... Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). ... These USB external HDD non-recognition problems in the XP environment ... Access Disk Management and see if the USB device is listed. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives - help
    ... It does NOT appear in the Disk Management window (of Computer ... Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). ... These USB external HDD non-recognition problems in the XP ... Access Disk Management and see if the USB device is listed. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: External Hard Drive (USB) recognizes hardware but not drives - help
    ... Argosy HD260 external hard disk case (USB connection). ... These USB external HDD non-recognition problems in the XP environment have ... Access Disk Management and see if the USB device is listed. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: --++[Preventing the spread of USB malware]++--
    ... "/Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. ... Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future ... > Malware uses two main techniques to spread through memory sticks. ... > the disk in a hex editor. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Somewhat OT: Cant write files to a perfectly good CD
    ... emergencies and I also have the external USB hard disks to allow me to ... to floppy disk; I've lost three or four floppy disks' worth of data out ... My Fantom 200 GB hard disk wouldn't mount through an unpowered hub, ... Bottom line--not all USB drives are created equal, ...
    (misc.transport.road)