dist upgrade nightmare!
- From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:32:42 -0500 (EST)
I tried taking a friend's machine from lenny to squeeze and it turned into a disaster. As a consequence of the attempt his entire package update and repair systems are broken. apt-get -f install can't fix anything and dpkg --configure -a can't fix anything anymore and as a consequence of those two acts, it's impossible to update his system. I can't even downgrade back to lenny! What I would like to know is if emergency procedures exist that can clear the mess out that these operations created and get the system back to some known state. I wouldn't mind this so much if the upgrade had simply failed but a system breaking like this where even though useable with the squeeze kernel on it is there nothing can be installed or uninstalled with apt-get and aptitude apparently got turned into a zombi placed in not fully installed or uninstalled or deferred status. If I had done this to my own computer that would be one thing, but this is a computer of a friend and I don't appreciate these tools for having ended up leaving this kind of damage.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Prev by Date: Re: usb drive nolonger registers on one pc, still registers on another
- Next by Date: Re: Tracker status:debian.org:Error Requested download is not authorized for use with this tracker.
- Previous by thread: User-space libraries -- udev/hotplugs
- Next by thread: Re: dist upgrade nightmare!