Xorg changes? Nouveaux prefered over NV? How can I tell?

I have a sqeeze system running as (amongst lots of other things) a mythtv backend/frontend combination.

Yesterday, after a long overdue aptitude update, I noticed the video playing rather slow.

I had previously configured the nvidia kernel module to run because it seem to perform better with mythtv

Looking at my Xorg.0.log file, it appears that the nv driver is being loaded, but then unloaded and glx also fails to load. the nouveau driver also appears to be loaded (I can see it starting up and I don't see it failing - although the vesa driver also seems to start up.

(==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 0
(==) Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 1
(==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 2
(==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
(==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
(II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
(II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) LoadModule: "nv"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so
(II) Module nv: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0

further down the file, and with no warning as to why
(II) UnloadModule: "nv"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nv_drv.so

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

I have the following in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf

alias char-major-195* nvidia
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
# To enable FastWrites and Sidebus addressing, uncomment these lines
# options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1
# options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

# see #580894
blacklist nouveau

Which I seem to remember was a previous attempt to ensure the nouveau driver didn't load. However an lsmod definitely shows it to be there.

Anyone any ideas as to what could be wrong.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

  • Re: How to have better quality display?
    ... I no longer have access either to the hardware or the specs related to this driver, so my support for it is limited to things that require neither. ... I committed a major update to the Intel 830M and 845G chipset support to both the XFree86 CVS trunk and DRI CVS trunk. ... A patch based on Christian Zietz's code to tell the video BIOS about extra video memory that has been allocated was committed to the XFree86 CVS trunk. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: WHat does the error mean: The WMI Performance Adapter service
    ... That type of error is usually caused by a bad video card, ... likely need to swap out the monitor as well to be absolutely certain. ... Download the latest video driver for your card online, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.games)
  • Re: Intel 82865G driver
    ... David Dawes: 830M/845G/852GM/855GM/865G Driver ... I no longer have access either to the hardware or the specs related to this driver, so my support for it is limited to things that require neither. ... I committed a major update to the Intel 830M and 845G chipset support to both the XFree86 CVS trunk and DRI CVS trunk. ... A patch based on Christian Zietz's code to tell the video BIOS about extra video memory that has been allocated was committed to the XFree86 CVS trunk. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [Solved] X11 slowness, command line hesitations, and pixel fuzz (blit leakage?) in xfce4-ter
    ... The shift from Xaa to Exa is definitely a bit early for a lot of the video ... Look for your xorg.conf and check the device section for the display card. ... [or other driver for your video hardware] ... Of course, when the get the "Exa" acceleration problems ironed out, you'll ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux, X, ld, gcc, linking, shared libraries and stuff
    ... >> because, originally, video cards / system RAM could NOT afford to have ... > GL actually "copies" everything, but it's done by the graphics card, so ... > anyway if it's not hardware accelerated. ... installed the proper driver, then it zooms around the screen... ...
    (alt.lang.asm)