Re: [SOLVED] Cannot mount floppy drive in Squeeze

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 22:28:52 -0500 (EST), Tom H wrote:
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
 I have been able to circumvent the problem
by commenting out the following entries in /etc/fstab and rebooting:

/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd1        /media/floppy1  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

Now only root can mount and umount floppies.  Since GNOME does not
run with root privileges, it can't mess me up.

I've been systematically deleting the emails in this thread unread. I
was about to do the same with this one when I remembered a
Ubuntu-users thread/rant about floppies where the apparent solution
was to keep the above lines in "/etc/fstab" and mount floppies with
"udisks --mount /dev/fdX". Since Ubuntu's based on a mix of testing
and unstable and uses the Debian udisks package without "ubuntufying"
it...

That works, Tom. Thanks! And of course the corresponding

udisks --unmount /dev/fdX

command unmounts the floppy. It appears that udisks has taken over
the mounting and unmounting of removable-media devices just like
network manager has taken over network devices. I don't think
we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :