Re: Packages - what's the best way?

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:05:38AM +0000, Lisi wrote:
On Monday 15 November 2010 03:54:42 Bob Proulx wrote:
Rob Hurle wrote:
Does anyone have advice on the best way to handle a .deb package?

The easiest way is to not handle .deb files at all. Instead allow
apt-get to install the package and any dependencies from the network.

I use aptitude at the command line. aptitude and apt-get seem to leap-frog
round each other as to which is "best". Mostly it is largely a matter of
personal choice.

Yes. For Opera on Debian see the instructions on the wiki which go
into detail what you should do.

http://wiki.debian.org/Opera

I use aptitude for this as well. Opera supplies a debian repository which can
be added to your sources list. Then Opera gets updated by aptitude too. The
only snag to this approach is that it doesn't automatically update its key.

Lisi

Please note: if I remember correctly, the upgrade procedure from Debian 5.x to Debian
6.0 will _require_ the use of apt-get for the actual upgrade itself.

When you come to upgrade a machine, PLEASE read the release notes carefully and
follow the commands listed. Doing anything otherwise may result in your machine
being difficult to set up / you may get into a situation where you cannot upgrade
/ downgrade.

Oh, and did I say to please read and follow the upgrade instructions carefully?

All best,

AndyC

  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Is apt-get still the cool package installer?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Recommended way to upgrade from Sarge to Etch
    ... Is this still the recommended way to upgrade from Sarge to Etch?: ... That page makes it out like using aptitude is somehow better than ... I've never used aptitude, only apt-get, I'm quite ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: package management begins to annoy me
    ... Yes, you're using aptitude. ... It gives more information than apt-get and, as this poster ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Apt-get and aptitude man pages (was "aptitude synaptic gnome to be removed?")
    ... Neither the apt-get nor the aptitude man page make that distinction (which is ... dist-upgrade is smarter than upgrade about resolving conflicts. ... The aptitude man page doesn't, except for the synopsis, mention dist-upgrade at ...
    (Debian-User)