Re: Debian Squeeze Installation

On 01/23/2011 05:56 AM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
When installing Squeeze, I chose standard system install and desktop
environment. However, it boots in line mode. How can I check if
desktop, in fact was installed? how to enable it? what is the name
of the of the gnome or kde packages?

Thanks in advance

When you log in try 'startx' if you have some desktop environment it should be started.
I gues you are download standard .iso without choosing DE so it is Gnome.

If you don't have any DE, just log in, 'su' and 'apt-get install gnome'

If you wont Gnome choose 'gnome' if Kde 'kde-full' if Xfce 'xfce4' etc.

You can find here any package http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

  • GNOME faint printing problem.
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Why?
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian 6.0
    ... intended install. ... 128 MB seems low for a GUI environment, but I'm fairly certain it is possible with Squeeze. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • NEWBIE installation report - was [Re: You can have any color you want - as long as its Gnome
    ... environment installations. ... the Gnome desktop. ... Expert install ... Doing a similar install to another partition w/o "Debian desktop" had 350 packages. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Lenny users: attn about Gnome/libxml2 breakage
    ... Today I did the usual dist-upgrade for my "testing" install, and it left me with a badly broken installation, because basically all Gnome applications stopped working. ... the apps segfault inside libxml2, and thereafter enter a deadlocked state in a mutex; the former is apparently a bug in libxml2, the latter seems to be the Gnome functionality to pop up a windows which seems to have an issue on it's own ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)