Re: Cannot turn on bell in xterm

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:03:14 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:30:28 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:24:54 -0800 Joe Riel wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:06:34 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:

(...)

Can you upload a snapshot (www.picpaste.com) of what you see in
there?

You forgot the image :-P

I don't have a gnome-sound-properties executable. Also,

$ apt-file find gnome-sound-properties
gnome-colors-common: /usr/share/icons/gnome-colors-common/16x16/apps/gnome-sound-properties.png
gnome-colors-common: /usr/share/icons/gnome-colors-common/22x22/apps/gnome-sound-properties.png
gnome-colors-common: /usr/share/icons/gnome-colors-common/24x24/apps/gnome-sound-properties.png
gnome-colors-common: /usr/share/icons/gnome-colors-common/32x32/apps/gnome-sound-properties.png
gnome-colors-common: /usr/share/icons/gnome-colors-common/scalable/apps/gnome-sound-properties.svg
xiphos-data: /usr/share/xiphos/gnome-sound-properties.png

No executables in there

That probably means you don't have the full GNOME installed and I
guess that was your choice.

I have squeeze testing. I see that it exists in
gnome-control-center, in unstable.

The package is also available for lenny and squeeze, is part of the
GNOME desktop, but you said you were not using a DE at all but
"fvwm", and also said that the bell was working at tty so look into
fvwm sound settings or try to load a LiveCD with a full GNOME and
check if it working from there.

While I normally run fvwm, I did the normal destop installation, so
should have the complete Gnome. On my older machine, which just
got a fresh installation, I don't (yet) run fvwm. On it, too, the
bell does not work.

Using the debian package search (http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages)
I see that there is *no* listing for gnome-control-center in
Debian *testing* (which is what I have). There is one in unstable and
in stable. That seems a trifle strange.

--
Joe Riel

  • Re: Cannot turn on bell in xterm
    ... into fvwm sound settings or try to load a LiveCD with a full GNOME ... While I normally run fvwm, I did the normal destop installation, so ... I do have gnome-control-center installed: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Cannot turn on bell in xterm
    ... GNOME desktop, but you said you were not using a DE at all but "fvwm", ... While I normally run fvwm, I did the normal destop installation, so ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: fc5 thoughts
    ... Fedora 5 installation went well. ... Using the Gnome ... The new and improved bubbly fedora wallpaper had to go. ... Both Linux and Windows versions available). ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: You can have any color you want - as long as its Gnome?
    ... the Gnome desktop. ... I didn't see Xfce listed at all. ... installation -- it was probably me. ... I guess most people go with LXDE ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Why is Evolution and Epiphany now a part of gnome-core?
    ... But I can only see "one" guy in that bug report ... The size issue of fitting GNOME ... gnome-core = GNOME installation designed to fit on one CD ... don't use X or a DE, but when I'm using a GUI on Debian, and need to use ...
    (Debian-User)