aptitude update 255 exit status, no errors/warnings

Attempting my usual aptitude update and package download today:

aptitude update && aptitude -dy full-upgrade

... I noticed that the full-upgrade didn't run.

Checking aptitude's exit status, I found it was '255', though no errors
were displayed.

Neither strace nor '-v' options (tried multiple to 4-5) provide any more
illumination. I'll omit strace here, but -v output is:

# aptitude -v update; echo "Status: $?"
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/non-free amd64
Packages/DiffIndex
Fetched 5,406 B in 13s (407 B/s)

Current status: 0 broken [+0], 77
updates [+0], 16521 new [+0]

Trying apt-get, however, gives:

# apt-get update
Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/non-free amd64 Packages/DiffIndex
W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/dists/unstable/Release Unable to find expected entry main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/dists/unreleased/Release Unable to find expected entry main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

(I'd added the debian-ports archive a week or so back to try to install
a package since removed from the main archive).

Obvious short-term fix is to remove debian-ports from
/etc/apt/sources.list, but it would seem aptitude's error handling
should also be improved.

Anything else I should note before filing a bug?

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist

  • Re: Sources.list Question
    ... updating the package list. ... Repeat if you need to upgrade just that package, either by install it ... I need to upgrade Opendkim version 2.0.1 but squeeze repository remains ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • FW: changing roots on: dpkg -i
    ... >> build my own package? ... plus the ~official Debian ... > hard problem that's not real high on the dpkg feature list. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: apt pinning confusion
    ... Pin: release o=Debian, a=experimental ... subject of "unsubscribe". ... Trouble? ... downgrade of the package ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: fsck on ext3, lost files
    ... nautilus, lde, find with file. ... When a file is deleted, the data remains on disk. ... The "testdisk" package, I have already mentioned contains a tool called ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Securing Debian Manual: 4.2 Execute a security update
    ... urgency levels, and a description of each package being upgraded. ... priority of the upgrade on the DNS server). ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)