Re: "Standard" installation - problem with definition and/or interpretation.

On Friday 04 March 2011 09:21:01 Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Vi, 04 mar 11, 08:55:17, Lisi wrote:
<quote> You will do a standard installation, that is, you will install
only the minimum environment. </quote>

As I understand it 'standard' in this context refers to packages up to
(and including) standard priority. If you don't know what I'm talking
about see 'apt-cache show exim4 | grep Priority'.

I have been given this instruction and am having problems interpretting
it, since The Debian site says (a propos of Sarge, but the course
material was written some years ago):

<quote> In a default Debian 3.1 standard installation you will end up
with OpenSSH, Exim (depending on how you configured it) and the RPC
portmapper available as network services[4]. If you did not go through a
standard installation but selected an expert installation you can end up
with no active network services. </quote>
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html
section 3.6

So the Debian site distinguishes between "standard" and "expert". But
our instructions continue:

'expert' install is the one where you set 'priority=expert' on booting.

IIRC in sarge times you got a prompt at boot. If you pressed Enter it
would do a 'priority=normal' install and if you wrote 'expert' it would
do the 'priority=expert' install (with a lot more options). That manual
would have better used 'normal' install, but now it's considered
obsolete and no one will update it.

<quote> When you start the installation from the selected media, choose
the expert mode and follow the steps until the end of the process.
</quote>

In other words, standard and expert are the same thing. Help!!!

In the context of going through the whole install (from boot to running
the system) standard means 'priority=normal' (not so many questions) and
'expert' is the one where you get a lot more choices and can tweak all
sorts of things *including* the package selection.

Thanks, Andrei. My preferred method of dealing with the problem would be to
go on to a later question and come back to this one when I have stopped
panicking. But the other questions rely on this one!!!

Lisi