Re: "Standard" installation - problem with definition and/or interpretation.

On Friday 04 March 2011 09:21:01 Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Vi, 04 mar 11, 08:55:17, Lisi wrote:
<quote> You will do a standard installation, that is, you will install
only the minimum environment. </quote>

As I understand it 'standard' in this context refers to packages up to
(and including) standard priority. If you don't know what I'm talking
about see 'apt-cache show exim4 | grep Priority'.

I have been given this instruction and am having problems interpretting
it, since The Debian site says (a propos of Sarge, but the course
material was written some years ago):

<quote> In a default Debian 3.1 standard installation you will end up
with OpenSSH, Exim (depending on how you configured it) and the RPC
portmapper available as network services[4]. If you did not go through a
standard installation but selected an expert installation you can end up
with no active network services. </quote>
section 3.6

So the Debian site distinguishes between "standard" and "expert". But
our instructions continue:

'expert' install is the one where you set 'priority=expert' on booting.

IIRC in sarge times you got a prompt at boot. If you pressed Enter it
would do a 'priority=normal' install and if you wrote 'expert' it would
do the 'priority=expert' install (with a lot more options). That manual
would have better used 'normal' install, but now it's considered
obsolete and no one will update it.

<quote> When you start the installation from the selected media, choose
the expert mode and follow the steps until the end of the process.

In other words, standard and expert are the same thing. Help!!!

In the context of going through the whole install (from boot to running
the system) standard means 'priority=normal' (not so many questions) and
'expert' is the one where you get a lot more choices and can tweak all
sorts of things *including* the package selection.

Thanks, Andrei. My preferred method of dealing with the problem would be to
go on to a later question and come back to this one when I have stopped
panicking. But the other questions rely on this one!!!