Re: Debian 6 uninstallable?

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 16:31:05 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Bret Busby wrote:

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Camaleón wrote:

Ensure that you:

1/ Properly wrote the ISO image in the CD
2/ Configured your BIOS boot sequence in the right manner

There are not many options for a failure here.

The file was downloaded, saved to a directory on the computer that
downloaded it (using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS), then written to the CD using
brasero, which was the default on that computer (not this computer, and
not the target computer for the Debian 6 installation).

The BIOS boot sequence was the same as for when the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
was installed on the target computer. The Ubuntu 10.04 LTS CD booted
and installed without problem, but the Debian 6 netinst CD was
bypassed, in the same boot process settings.

For small images (netiso) I do not tend to verify the checksum or the
media, but for bigger files (CD or DVD sets) I do, just to discard any
problem with the burning proccess. Anyway, if the CD presents any problem
(does not boot or gets stuck at Isolinux banner) it's a good idea to
perform the test.

And so today I downloaded another set of iso images; one for each of the
32 bit and the 64 bit installations. It came from the previous source as
the previous iso iomage that did not work - through hummer.se (or
something similar), via the web page at http://www.debian.org/distrib/ ,
from the part

"
Download a small installation image

(...)

I tried installing the 64 bit one, and it does not proceed past the
"Configure package manager"

Okay. But now at least you reached the installer. That's makes more sense
to me.

Every mirroor that I tried, in Australia, and, in the USA, returned "Bad
Archive Mirror".

In Australia, I tried the WAIIA, iinet, UWA, au.debian.org, optus.net,
and other mirrors, in the USA, I tried the MIT, Berkely, debian.us (or
whatever it was), and others, all with the same error message.

Surely, they can't all be lacking Debian 6 amd64 mirrors?

I think it should be "Bad Debian 6"!

This is the most problematic installation process that I remember.

That sounds indeed very weird. One mirror can have problems but not all
of them. I'd suspect from your Internet connection at the time of the
installation.

Did you manually specify the mirror's URI or just select one from the
drop-down menu?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • Re: Swap space not used
    ... I think it was from Debian 6.03, but I am not sure of the fractional version number component. ... If some utility existed that would display the source of an iso image, and the full version number of the source iso image, it would be good. ... Perhaps, on installation, the creation of a file to store the original information about the installation, that could be retrieved any time during the life of the particular installation, would be useful. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: documentation for novice and newbies
    ... installer, its manual, their computer, and later their new installation. ... something like "For Novices and Newbies to Debian". ... Under this we could have individual wiki entries that we could work on. ... documentation for linux in general can be confusing when trying ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Inconsistency with Debian 5 and adding printers
    ... Debian 5, which was installed as a clean install, the printer was ... installation on this computer, to Debian 5, following the Release ... Debian 5 installation that is done as an upgrade from Debian 4, ... The Common UNIX Printing System ) is a printing system and general replacement for lpd and the like. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Probleme beim Booten von bzw. Installieren auf SATA Platte
    ... > 5287 SATA-Controller. ... > Ich bekomme entweder NUR Win2k ODER nur Debian zum laufen, ... die Platte zu erkennen. ... Windows mittels F6 bei der Installation einspielen ...
    (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.festplatten)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Re: a secure base system
    ... > by Debian, as well as the cleanliness of a Debian system, I'd choose ... > integrity/cleanliness contribute a significant portion to security. ... > relatively low since productive workstations should not be able to ... to have a "secure" base installation he can use as a backup image to ...
    (Full-Disclosure)