Re: What is the most secure FTP server?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:56:32 -0600, Jason Hsu writes:
I understand that regular FTP has inferior security due to the lack of
encryption. So I'm looking for an alternative to use on my home
server.

What is your favorite alternative and why? Implicit FTPS? SFTP? FTP
over SSH? Or something else?

vsftpd is just rocking, but if I were you, I'd stick with OpenSSH. I'd
create an "sftp" group for just FTP users, and jail SSH connections
coming from users in "sftp" group into their home directory. (See
here[1] for details.)

Regards.

[1] http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/chroot-users-with-openssh-an-easier-way-to-confine-users-to-their-home-directories/229

  • Re: Secure file transfer
    ... We're talking about SFTP, which is a variant how to use SSH to secure the ... FTP protocol. ... is it better to use AUTH SSL or SSH/SFTP?" ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Secure file transfer
    ... We're talking about SFTP, which is a variant how to use SSH to secure the ... FTP protocol. ... "FTP over SSH" is the protection of the command channel. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Does IIS support SFTP?
    ... Here's a guide for using SSH to set up SFTP on Windows. ... using FTP over SSH. ... It adds file transfers to ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Re: Simple file sharing between FC2 and Mac OS X?
    ... > SSH should work great but you'd need a real user account on her machine. ... I use Nautilus with SFTP to ... > transfer files to/from my laptop, web server, etc. ... > ftp server, or both. ...
    (Fedora)
  • SFTP with no SSH session
    ... Suppose someone has telnet and FTP access to his System. ... suppose I have SSH and SFTP access to my system. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)