Re: OpenOffice.org - how to install additional languages?

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 16:43:52 +0100, Lisi wrote:

On Sunday 03 April 2011 15:22:31 Camaleón wrote:
And what's exactly that "English English"? I mean, what iso code it
has? I ask becasue I'm not aware of any with that name :-?

That is exactly what I was complaining about! Among other things.

I miss an Academy of Language for English. I know Oxford's dictionary is
a kind of standard in this field but there should be a central
institution that regulates and sets the language rules and of course,
integrates all of the English variations.

In Spain we have such institution (also in France, IIRC) that tries to
control and normalize all of the Spanish variations.

And there are separate language iso's for some flavours of Spanish, are
there not?

Yes, there are... es-ES (Spanish from Spain), es-AR (Spanish from
Argentina), es-CL (Spanish from Chile), es-MX (Spanish from Mexico),
etc...

And in Chile they used to talk of Castellano and Espaniol. This was
many years ago so a) it may have changed and b) I
may have the spelling a bit wrong.

When used to designate the same purpose (language) both denominations are
synonyms. "Castellano" is more heard in Spain while "español" is a bit
more international denomination.

But there is no "Spanish Spanish" just a Spanish that is spoken in
"__________" (put here the country) ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

  • the tomasites , english and the filipino
    ... And they came to teach English as part of the "policy of attraction" ... a Filipino is deemed illiterate even ... Even a secondary Spanish school like Colegio de San Juan de Letrán ... wrote a textbook to teach the English language as early as 1902. ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: Software effectiveness
    ... ie. how well does a doctor or nurse speak Spanish? ... This sort of assessment is usually ... > the statistics lingos? ... This will help me find the right language to ...
    (sci.stat.math)
  • Re: the tomasites , english and the filipino
    ... this change was documented in books written in English or other ... European languages not Tagalog or any other of the Filipino dialects. ... second language, unfortunately it seems that we did not use these ... Even a secondary Spanish school like Colegio de San Juan de Letrán ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: Spanish Vs English
    ... Who cares which language is easiest for a computer to learn? ... The Spanish language has been developed over the past few centuries, ... Although as far as foreign contributions, English is richer, but its ... As an European fascinated with the American Way before actually going ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: So..you think English is easy??
    ... This is one sentence of Spanish that I learned to say... ... It is also a language with a very rich vocabulary. ... Trouble is they speak too fast. ... Let's face it - English is a crazy language. ...
    (sci.med.transcription)