Re: OpenOffice.org - how to install additional languages?

On 04/03/2011 12:20 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 16:43:52 +0100, Lisi wrote:

On Sunday 03 April 2011 15:22:31 Camaleón wrote:
And what's exactly that "English English"? I mean, what iso code it
has? I ask becasue I'm not aware of any with that name :-?
That is exactly what I was complaining about! Among other things.
I miss an Academy of Language for English. I know Oxford's dictionary is
a kind of standard in this field but there should be a central
institution that regulates and sets the language rules and of course,
integrates all of the English variations.

In Spain we have such institution (also in France, IIRC) that tries to
control and normalize all of the Spanish variations.

And there are separate language iso's for some flavours of Spanish, are
there not?
Yes, there are... es-ES (Spanish from Spain), es-AR (Spanish from
Argentina), es-CL (Spanish from Chile), es-MX (Spanish from Mexico),
etc...

And in Chile they used to talk of Castellano and Espaniol. This was
many years ago so a) it may have changed and b) I
may have the spelling a bit wrong.
When used to designate the same purpose (language) both denominations are
synonyms. "Castellano" is more heard in Spain while "español" is a bit
more international denomination.

But there is no "Spanish Spanish" just a Spanish that is spoken in
"__________" (put here the country) ;-)

Greetings,

This is grossly off topic, but since it's here, i _must_ answer:

Thank God there is no "English Academy." In France, their Academy has the force and power
of law. It is _illegal_ to name anything public in English. If you have a store and call it by an English
name you will be forced to change it to something French. The only exception I have heard of
is "Le Drugstore." I don't know how they get away with it.

If English, either British or American, had such an academy, we would still be speaking the
language of Henry VIII! And we would never have had the opportunity to get rid of the French
spelling of things like "centre."

The French may hate everything English, but those of us who speak any variety of English
appreciate its variety, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

--doug

  • the tomasites , english and the filipino
    ... And they came to teach English as part of the "policy of attraction" ... a Filipino is deemed illiterate even ... Even a secondary Spanish school like Colegio de San Juan de Letrán ... wrote a textbook to teach the English language as early as 1902. ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: the tomasites , english and the filipino
    ... this change was documented in books written in English or other ... European languages not Tagalog or any other of the Filipino dialects. ... second language, unfortunately it seems that we did not use these ... Even a secondary Spanish school like Colegio de San Juan de Letrán ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: Add multiple fields in a form
    ... Table 3 - equipment - equip ID, equip eng, equip sp ... The issue is the form that prints out for the mechanic needs to have both the english and spanish names and description because we don't know who will be working on it. ... My solution to this would be to have an option group so that the user can choose the preferred language, and have the RowSource properties of the Combo boxes set to a query that references that checkbox, delivering the text the user needs. ...
  • Re: The Spanish Language in the US- Taboos and Complexes.
    ... Spanish in Argentina was supposed to prove the point about 'racist ... stubbornly refuse to acknowledge the language of the local Albanophones ... English, which is a status symbol and a mark of education. ... English as well as they do, and anything that, in general, is Indian and not ...
    (sci.lang)
  • Re: So..you think English is easy??
    ... This is one sentence of Spanish that I learned to say... ... It is also a language with a very rich vocabulary. ... Trouble is they speak too fast. ... Let's face it - English is a crazy language. ...
    (sci.med.transcription)