Re: [OT] English language

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 05:32:34PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 04/03/2011 05:02 PM, David Jardine wrote:
On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 03:17:55PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

I don't know if England had its own xenophobic
equivalents, but I think the English would be less likely to accept
changes of spelling decreed from above.

Above? Webster didn't get his dictionary mandated by the government.

By "above" I didn't mean government. Webster was "above".

Who decreed that Webster was "above".

Who decreed that Microsoft was "above"?

But is it _our_ language any more?

Not after you beggared yourself after the two World Wars.

Misunderstanding: by "our" language I meant the language of native
speakers of English - American, Australian, English or whoever.

Successfully spreading your empire (and thus your language) around
the world /de facto/ dilutes your ownership of the language, by
virtue of each group you teach it to morphing it to their own needs.

It's not mipela empire and language, it's yumipela empire and language.

example, we insist on saying, "We've been doing it like this for ages",
who are we to say that "We do it like this since ages" is not correct?

If they were doing it "this way" before I was born, then they've
been doing it for ages... :)

But my grandchildren (mixed English, French, German, Italian) insist
that they have done it since agess. :)

corrupt."

I just love the spelling of "Advertiser". ;)

Cheers,
David

  • Re: Leodhasach & Hearasch - Gaelic help please
    ... course our own traditional language is even more neglected than Gaelic is. ... who speak English soon get the gist of it. ... is someone who truly appreciates Scottish culture in that you won't find ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • the tomasites , english and the filipino
    ... And they came to teach English as part of the "policy of attraction" ... a Filipino is deemed illiterate even ... Even a secondary Spanish school like Colegio de San Juan de Letrán ... wrote a textbook to teach the English language as early as 1902. ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: the tomasites , english and the filipino
    ... this change was documented in books written in English or other ... European languages not Tagalog or any other of the Filipino dialects. ... second language, unfortunately it seems that we did not use these ... Even a secondary Spanish school like Colegio de San Juan de Letrán ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: OT: Six out of 10 young Americans cannot find Iraq on a map
    ... Language became a political and an emotional issue as early as the ... proposed English Language Amendment, ... Despite the myth that German had once come close to replacing English ... The story of the German Vote is occasionally trotted out by ...
    (alt.guitar.amps)
  • OT - A Country of Illiterates and "Survivor" Watchers Decides on a Language
    ... US Senate declares English the "national language" ... The U.S. Senate on Thursday voted to make English the "national ... The answer can lie only in the profound crisis and decay of American ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)