Re: Managing large numbers (100+) of Debian-based machines

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 12:21:30PM +0100, Laurence Hurst wrote:
Hi folks,
I am looking at possibly deploying Debian (or a derivative thereof) on a large number of machines (initially 80 but I fully expect the final number to end up being in excess of 100) which are intermittently connected to the network (due to multi-boot setup). I was wondering if anyone else has a large(ish) installation base and what tools they were using to manage the machines (especially when it comes to patching)? On this scale manual ssh methods become unmanageable, even using the likes of pdsh and before I even consider the fact the machines will not all be in Linux at any given time. Unfortunately I have no budget for this project so an Ubuntu/Landscape solution is not workable. Ideally something usable by non-Linux (but technically competent Windows) administrators would be nice (e.g. a "point and shoot" web-interface to mass deploy updates). Does anyone have any suggestions of existing projects which fit this bill or am I going to have to roll my own solution?
Thanks in advance
Laurence

If you want to check out updates before rolling them out to all
machines, I would set up a local apt repository. Have the machines set
to automatically update, but have sources.list point to your local repo.
That way anything you add to the repo will automatically get rolled out
to all machines.

If you decide not to go with your own apt repo, I highly recommend you
at least use something like apt-cacher-ng. It'll save a lot of download
bandwidth and time.

-Rob

  • Re: Group Policy - Pushing out Software
    ... going to VNC into the computer, log on as the local Admin and do my thing". ... I would suspect that you are familiar with 'updates' via GPO. ... I know the way we access users machines using Remote Desktop ... > life easy for 2 administrators keeping 80 users machines updated. ...
  • Re: Exceptional Error - Custom Menus deleted at startup of Access
    ... machines with SIMILAR ... And more precisely I sould say that I have "Microsoft Office 2000 ... * "If updates would be making this kind of problems then why other machines ... > implied that installing the updates would break things. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)
  • Re: Comparing update systems
    ... It checks for updates at the repositories, ... I understand what a network is. ... are not to many machines, you can do it during instalation. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Is a Windows 98se computer more, or less, of a security threat with IE 5.5 (unused) & Firefo
    ... from drive-by attacks its a closer ... hardware solution where the updates get applied rather than our local ... So far i've been able to keep most of the old machines running myself. ... do this just because of a security risk alone is difficult. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: FreeBSD Security Survey
    ... It's hard to make a good case for automatic updates when manual ... I have three machines, all on different hardware ... Being a broke college student I don't think that's something I'd ever do to install updates on my boxes. ... I still say it would be best for all to ahve something in FreeBSD similar to Slackware where yuo just use wget or smoething to grab a patch .tgz file and use upgradepkg to install it without having to do this. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)