Re: Squeeze: Fan control

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 03:06:35PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
If you have the option of putting temp/fan speed under BIOS control
instead of operating system control, I'd do so, always.

Putting such things under software control is one of the dumbest things
this industry ever did. Using a simple hardware only solution is the
only smart way to do thermal control, for a whole host of reasons.

If you look at the enterprise hardware space (servers, storage arrays,
switches, routers, etc), NOBODY does thermal control in host OS
software. It's all done with dedicated hardware controllers.

Which makes one wonder why they do this in host software in the consumer
space. I think the answer is two words: bells whistles

I'm not a "pet peeve" person. If I were, doing temp/fan control in host
software would be a pet peeve of mine.

If I were a cynical, paranoid and Microsoft-hating type, I
would suppose that software fan control provides another
opportunity for proprietary design, and incompabilities with
free software.

Joel

--
Stan

Joel Roth

  • Re: Squeeze: Fan control
    ... Currently, with only Compiz enabled, my temperatures are around ... If you have the option of putting temp/fan speed under BIOS control ... only smart way to do thermal control, for a whole host of reasons. ... If you look at the enterprise hardware space (servers, storage arrays, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: host aliases
    ... domains / subdomains, there will be needless lookups, wasting time and ... control 'foo.dynalias.org' and 'bar.dyndns.org', but someone else ... use ssh aliasing, as in my earlier posts), but I'm still really curious ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Audio is very low
    ... > Modify settings or unsubscribe at: ... volume control. ... through the volume control panel tabs and sliders looking for something ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Does email server OS needs clamav?