Re: Issue writing image to disk via dd

Dne, 25. 04. 2011 10:54:52 je Mark Kane napisal(a):
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011, at 10:09:58 +0200, Klistvud wrote:
> It would seem we're finally getting somewhere. This should be fairly
> easy to test, namely: performing dd on an *unmounted* (not live)
> system and seeing if it finally works.

Yes, I tried this yesterday. Using dd to write the image to sdb which
was an unmounted/empty disk worked properly.

So the problem only happens when overwriting the live system in either
Etch or Squeeze. Lenny works exactly as expected so I guess I could try
upgrading the remote server from Etch to Lenny and then do it, but it
still seems odd that it would not work in Etch, work in Lenny, and then
not work again in Squeeze.

Thanks,

-Mark

Hmm, perhaps your live system is performing some disk writes *while* your dd is doing its thing, thus effectively overwriting (corrupting) some sectors already written by dd?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
Certifiable Loonix User #481801 Please reply to the list, not to me.

  • Re: testing or unstable?
    ... official DVDs of the most current stable version: first Sarge, and then Etch. ... many times I've been needing to use a testing/unstable Debian version ... Using code names (lenny, squeeze, etc.) ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Fw: Errors on upgrading from etch to lenny
    ... Notice, please, that no such errors came out when upgrading from etch to lenny with amd64. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: device name problem after update
    ... I'm aware of an issue with naming devices in Squeeze, ...  Are you sure you are using Lenny, i.e. stable, as opposed to ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: need help with xorg.conf
    ... but not perfectly with Lenny. ... Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be ... them in a conf file, xorg.conf, I think, but I'm not sure. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: need help with xorg.conf
    ... but not perfectly with Lenny. ... Under Squeeze, X chooses 1024x768 which makes things that should be ... Switch to a text mode virtual terminal e.g. Alt-F1 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)