Re: Switch to LILO from Grub2 ?

On 14 May 2011 21:59, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@xxxxxx> wrote:

<snip - see previous post for more>

This will definitely not work.  LILO stores the location of kernels
(their sectors on the disk) in a map file, and if you move those around
it won't be able to find them anymore.

Also I'd like to avoid using UUIDs - I think this will be necessary if
I am to achieve 2 above.

You could also use labels, but device names can obviously not be used in
that situation.  Beware that both with UUIDs and labels your old
partition is likely to be used unless you delete or reformat it.

Sven

Thanks Sven, most useful. I had a look at the website I mentioned
which gives a LILO guide and if I decide to delve more into one of the
boot loaders it looks like LILO will probably be more manageable for
me. However at present I'll spend my time on other tasks and take the
easy way out and reinstall the system where necessary.