Re: Switch to LILO from Grub2 ?

On 14 May 2011 21:59, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@xxxxxx> wrote:

<snip - see previous post for more>

This will definitely not work.  LILO stores the location of kernels
(their sectors on the disk) in a map file, and if you move those around
it won't be able to find them anymore.

Also I'd like to avoid using UUIDs - I think this will be necessary if
I am to achieve 2 above.

You could also use labels, but device names can obviously not be used in
that situation.  Beware that both with UUIDs and labels your old
partition is likely to be used unless you delete or reformat it.

Sven

Thanks Sven, most useful. I had a look at the website I mentioned
which gives a LILO guide and if I decide to delve more into one of the
boot loaders it looks like LILO will probably be more manageable for
me. However at present I'll spend my time on other tasks and take the
easy way out and reinstall the system where necessary.

  • Re: Labeling backup DVD+RWs
    ... The upside of the DVD+RW's is kind of a yellow-gold-bronze color and I can't ... labels and marker that were specifically made to do just that. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Boot order / Grub / USB installer
    ... Gosh, I've never used LVM in my life, so can't be of any help here. ... However, I seem to remember at least one thing correctly: there *is* a step for manual partitioning in the d-i, and IIRC it *is* possible to at least give labels to partitions. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Boot from 2.6.26-2-686 fails - unable to find root device
    ... I use labels for my partitions because I have a mix of SATA and SCSI ... equivalent GRUB stanzas for both kernels; ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to obtain UUID of drives (squeeze udev lacks vol_id)
    ... You answered my question --- I didn't know about blkid utility. ... With this one can give every partition a meaningful labels like --- ... permanently installed USB drives, but I expect that when I do, I ... subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)