Re: login as root to GUI

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:52:42PM CEST, "tv.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tv.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
20/05/2011 11:49, Erwan David wrote:
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:04:26AM CEST, "tv.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tv.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
19/05/2011 18:17, Dick Bayerl wrote:
I am frustrated. I have tried installing both UBUNTU and DEBIAN with
the same problem. I never can login to root so I can't make changes to
various files. Not the owner. I am just now installing DEBIAN on a
second machine and keeping careful notes about the password to see if
that will work. I really like the idea of working with DEBIAN and hope
I can get past this issue.
Dick Bayerl

Hi, don't login as root in X, instead deactivate temporarily X-session
access control, and launch desired gui tool as root:

xhost +

sudo whatever_gui_tool

NOT xhots + !!!
If you have to widen, just do xhost +local:

First command opens to the whole internet, second one only to connnections from localhost.

Thanks for correcting me, it's good to know it if the firewall allows
connections from the outside. Otherwise the security risk seems pretty
low, or am I missing something juicy here ?

Yes it is low, however, it is better to directly get the good habits.

  • Re: Unable to su as a user, I get: Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied
    ... on the xconsole screen..it lets me login and then bounces me ... execute /bin/bash: Permission denied ... It'll be executed by the user, not root. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: authentication failure
    ... When I login using root last night, I type in wrong password more than 5 times. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Hardware
    ... write a user name, a user account name, login name and password. ... If you need superuser (root) privileges for admin tasks you can switch user temporarily using the command su. ... root and the user you created during installation. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: dpkg-reconfigure of xserver-xorg creates problem for users!