Re: login as root to GUI

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:52:42PM CEST, "tv.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tv.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
20/05/2011 11:49, Erwan David wrote:
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 11:04:26AM CEST, "tv.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tv.debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
19/05/2011 18:17, Dick Bayerl wrote:
I am frustrated. I have tried installing both UBUNTU and DEBIAN with
the same problem. I never can login to root so I can't make changes to
various files. Not the owner. I am just now installing DEBIAN on a
second machine and keeping careful notes about the password to see if
that will work. I really like the idea of working with DEBIAN and hope
I can get past this issue.
Dick Bayerl

Hi, don't login as root in X, instead deactivate temporarily X-session
access control, and launch desired gui tool as root:

xhost +

sudo whatever_gui_tool

NOT xhots + !!!
If you have to widen, just do xhost +local:

First command opens to the whole internet, second one only to connnections from localhost.

Thanks for correcting me, it's good to know it if the firewall allows
connections from the outside. Otherwise the security risk seems pretty
low, or am I missing something juicy here ?

Yes it is low, however, it is better to directly get the good habits.