Re: Samba or NFS

3.6.2011 18:08, Dan kirjoitti:
Hi,

I have two linux servers. One file server (debian) that is running
samba and one application server (redhat). I would like to mount the
shares of the file server in the application server. The problem is
that the usernames are very different. Samba is already running and
easier to set-up. NFS seems to be more difficult to set-up and also
there are more security issues.

Which are the advantages of NFS over Samba (cifs) other than the
symbolic links. I read that even some people prefer samba over NFS to
connect Unix to Unix.

NFS is by far simpler to use in pure Linux environment, Samba is for
Windows networks. NFS has no passwords, just install it with apt-get,
and declare /etc/exports in the server, and mount the shares in the
clients /etc/fstab. That's all it takes.

NFS offers native looking folders to *nix machines over networks.

--

Sheriff Chameleotoptor sighed with an air of weary sadness, and then
turned to Doppelgutt and said 'The Senator must really have been on a

  • Re: [opensuse] NFS client/server problems when an NFS server is offline
    ... and silently mounting the NFS when the ... server comes available? ... computers that may or may not be on. ... setting the fstab line to noauto and then mount manually after booting ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: This may be more of a Samba question but Ill give it a try
    ... I have it set up with nfs ... This may be more of a Samba question but I'll give it a try ... > I want to share a folder on one linux server and mount it on another ... > the best way to put that in fstab to mount the remote share. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problems mounting nfs from freebsd to Mac.
    ... Problems mounting nfs from freebsd to Mac. ... I've got an nfs server that's refusing to mount one client - via one ... That elimintes NFS on the client, and -most- of the NFS config on the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] Problem with NFS mounts
    ... I have a server that is supposed to be ... mounting two remote file systems via NFS. ... If I run mount -a from the command line it mounts like it ... NFS filesystems exported by an HP-UX server. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs
    ... >> another NFS server goes away. ... you're reduced to using something like samba as a server ... and the Linux-to-Linux situations? ...
    (SuSE)