Re: Debian Questions on apt-get

On 06/06/11 at 06:52pm, Lisi wrote:
On Monday 06 June 2011 17:03:36 Matt wrote:
I have worked with Centos quite a bit in past though no expert.
Giving Debian a whirl now.

Having made a desultary attempt in teh other direction, I feel your pain. :-(

[snip]
In Centos when I want to update or add a package I do this:

yum update

There is an important and fundamental difference between yum update and
apt-get update. Yum update, as you say, applies patches. Apt-get update
just updates the database of packages on your computer. (I think that yum
simply doesn't do this at all.) The equivalent of yum update is apt-get
full-upgrade - but you must run apt-get update first, or you won't get
anything new. That will apply patches.

Incorrect, yum installs full packages and is indeed quite similar to apt.
I'm also not familiar with the command `apt-get full-upgrade`.

The reason apt is not showing any 'patches' is because you must have the latest version of all your software, or apt is not configured correctly.

--
Liam

  • Re: Debian Questions on apt-get
    ... This becomes "apt-get update" in debian. ... apt-get install package_name ... Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian Questions on apt-get
    ... There is an important and fundamental difference between yum update and ... apt-get update. ... Yum update, as you say, applies patches. ... Now on Centos when I do 'yum update' after a fresh install I usually ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian Questions on apt-get
    ... There is an important and fundamental difference between yum update and ... apt-get update. ... Yum update, as you say, applies patches. ... Incorrect, yum installs full packages and is indeed quite similar to apt. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Yum vs. PackageKit
    ... I've been making it a practice, ... too see this in Fedora 14 and routinely do yum update and yum upgrade. ... With Ubuntu I also do apt-get update then apt-get upgrade to obtain ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Oracle Linux upgrades
    ... This just applied fixes. ... production machines. ... then promote patches to the development ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)