Re: Wrestling with Dell Precision laptop. You too? Discuss tips & experience

On 06/07/2011 01:27 PM, William Hopkins wrote:
On 06/07/11 at 01:00pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
If you have one of these new-ish Dell laptops, maybe we can help each other.

The newer kernel appears to be necessary to use either the wireless ( Intel
Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 ) or the wire (Intel Corporation
82579LM Gigabit Network Connection ).

Whoa, whoa, why? If you mean 'the older kernel packages don't come
> with the appropriate modules', that's fine. But it doesn't mean you
> need the new kernel. You can get the source for the kernel modules and
> compile it for an earlier kernel.

Unless the driver doesn't compile on the older kernel...

corrupt."

  • RE: Desktop performance problem
    ... H67/P67 chips due to them being shipped with failing SATA 3G ports. ... I may be wrong but I don't believe it is a kernel configuration issue. ... I have an intel sata controller with ahci enabled: From lshw: ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [Xen-devel] Xen patches merged to upstream Linux 2.6.36, plans for 2.6.37?
    ... I must apologize to have to say that Intel IGD VGA passthrough to my Windows XP Home Edition HVM domU did not succeed/work with Xen 4.0.1-rc6-pre hypervisor and Jeremy Fitzhardinge's pv-ops dom0 kernel 2.6.32.19 in my earlier email. ... I have just added a section to my /boot/grub/grub.conf to enable serial console for Xen 4.0.1-rc6-pre and pv-ops dom0 kernel 2.6.32.19 for kernel debugging/troubleshooting. ... title Fedora with Serial Console ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Re: i865 based systems
    ... Has anyone installed a 2.4 series kernel on a system based on the intel ... testing) is appears that both i865 support and sATA support are in the ... As far as I can tell, there is sATA support in 2.4.21, although I cannot ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: system keeps freezing once every 24 hours / random apps crashing
    ... >>Right now i booted the kernel with nomce since one never knows with dell ... MCE's indicate a hardware problem, ... update of the intel microcode made a difference. ... # ACPI Support ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [Alsa-user] [alsa-devel] Crash 2.6.32.x, Echo 3G, Alsa, SCSI
    ... The above patches posted to the linux kernel list seemed to ... Intel 82801G IDE Controller ... Intel 82801G USB2 EHCI Controller ... PnP Unclassified device ...
    (Linux-Kernel)