USB stick no longer automounting at boot

I have today set up a new installation of Linux Mint and it is
exhibiting the same symptoms as my installation of Squeeze as follows
- I have a USB stick permanently plugged in (for backup purposes) and
when the system boots the stick is not mounted. When I first installed
it mounted ok and I could see it on the desktop, but now I have to
physically unplug and replug the stick to get the system to mount it.
I think this behaviour may have occurred after I installed a trial
version of NOD32 antivirus for Linux (on both systems), but I'm not
certain. I stopped NOD32 from starting at boot but this doesn't make
any difference, so I don't know if that is the cause or maybe some
other software update. Any ideas would be welcome.

My knowledge is pretty elementary at this level but I have run the
following 2 commands to check that the device is recognised:

fdisk -l reveals:

Disk /dev/sdb: 4076 MB, 4076863488 bytes
166 heads, 54 sectors/track, 888 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8964 * 512 = 4589568 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 889 3981288 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(495, 165, 54) logical=(888, 47, 54)

also blkid gives:

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="ISISBACK" UUID="D743-AC68" TYPE="vfat"

  • Re: Linux Mint auf dem Acer Aspire One 110L
    ... Ich würde aber gerne Linux Mint 5 Elyssa auf dem AAO einsetzen. ... Dummerweise basiert dieses auf Ubuntu 8.04 und mit diesem klappt die ... Installation nicht. ... Kernel gemacht. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • wheezy: / mounts readonly at boot, I cant figure out why
    ... # /etc/fstab: static file system information. ... # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation ... but I think it started after doing a dist-upgrade on wheezy, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to add self-compiled kernel module in debian installation
    ... I managed to compile the megaraid_sas module by using an older version of it. ... How to add self-compiled kernel module in debian installation ... So you finally managed to compile the driver for Debian, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Which ISO image to download ?