Re: laptop restart eth0 automatically on plugin or on awake like a desktop

On Wed 08 Jun 2011 at 16:06:34 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

It seems it can fail, at least under some scenarios ;-)

ifupdown: /etc/init.d/networking should support allow-hotplug

This isn't a failure of allow-hotplug but a perceived defect in the
/etc/init.d/networking script, which only takes account of auto.

If you add to this udev events and system restoration from a suspended
state, the mess can be royal.

Not a problem the OP experienced. :)

There must be another similiar bugs out there because this is not the
first time I've read problems with the "*-hotplug" stanza.

You have the advantage on me but I'm unpersuaded. The initial post was a
classic dhcp couldn't get an address description. Now if he had said he
was using static addressing (which just may be on the desktop machines
he mentioned) I'd be stumped.

Maybe Mitchell Laks could boot with allow-hotplug and with auto 20/30
times and report his observations. And another 20/30 times without
either. Recording relevant boot messages of course and seeing what dmesg
has to say about the state of eth0.

  • Re: Lenny: mouse srewed in OpenGL application
    ... changing the mouse Protocol from "auto" to "ImPS/2" did not make any changes - and according to the log file xorg can deal with the 'auto' protocol. ... Everything worked fine as usually until I wanted to use a graphics program ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: networking
    ... allow-hotplug makes the interface come up only when a cable ... auto makes the interface come up at boot time ... But us old-timers who want to be able to restart the networking then ... interfaces that do not have any local configuration. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Autoatic convertor from autotools to deb file
    ... Most of the time when i get a nice auto created file i ... hussle for a while and then manualy create a deb package. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: scipt for dialup timer
    ... I did join the list as registered but it auto took me to your email ... so I decided to join up, and would like to know about how to script ... Could someone who knows something about non-unix systems help Ray to get ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Mount ext2/ext3 as specific user at system start?