Re: [OT] Mice

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 20:29 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 09/06/11 19:39, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 17:21 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/08/2011 06:32 AM, Camaleón wrote:
[snip]
<snipped>
Not the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse. It's just... a plain old, boring
standard sized mouse.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Basic-Optical-Mouse-Black/dp/B00081N53K

This mouse perhaps fits too my needs. Shit! Is there another vendor,
than Microsoft selling the same mouse ;)? I would grasp the nettle and
buy a Microsoft one, if I shouldn't find another vendor selling similar
mice.

The PS/2 mouse were the mouse wheel using Debian doesn't work, seems to
be a Microsoft mouse too
http://www.comresurs.ru/pickat2/31081.jpg
I didn't know that I was comfortable with Microsoft :D. Oops!

-- Ralf

I can recommend these:-
http://www.genius-europe.com/en/produktdetail.php?ID2=23&ID=24&ID3=56

Definitely work with Linux and BSD. Cheap and they are PS/2.
I have some of the Microsoft mice - they're more expensive, have a
slightly heavier (less flimsy) body, larger pads on the base, a bit
larger, and have a USB connector. They also work just fine with Linux
and BSD - no fiddling needed.

Both mice only need the following if you use an xorg.conf:-

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Cheers

Thank you :)

AFAIK even when using a xorg.conf and I'm using one for the monitor, HAL
does the mouse settings, as long as there isn't xserver-xorg-input-mouse
installed. Oops, the USB mouse does work although I've got a xorg.conf
without mouse settings, but the xserver-xorg-input-mouse driver
installed. I set up HAL or what ever, can't remember the file at the
moment, when I tried to get the old PS/2 mouse wheel working (of cause I
tried xorg.conf for the PS/2 mouse too).

I wish to have a wired mouse with a design similar to my old mouse.
USB seems to be ok too, no USB is sharing an IRQ with a sound card.
I guess both, ball and laser are ok for me.

Regards,

Ralf